Thursday, July 19, 2012

Asparagus with Mushrooms

I made this as a side last night with our Cumin Chicken. I wasn't happy with the chicken recipe. It was "ok/edible" but I realized that I really don't like cumin all that much. It cooked up nice and tender so I'll make it again but this time with a different herb or selection of herbs.

Anyway, back to the asparagus and mushrooms. First off, don't be turned off because of the mushrooms. I HATE mushrooms but I used them, picked them out and the asparagus was just as delicious so feel free to leave them out or if you're making some for people who do like mushrooms, just pick them out. I slice them in BIG slices to make that easier.

 You're going to need:
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 Tbs Coconut oil (but I used olive - Gary isn't a huge coconut fan)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced



Ok, Add the vinegar, 1 Tbs of the oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Add the asparagus in boiling water, just enough to make them crisp (few minutes)
Drain and IMMEDIATELY pour iced water over them (or blanch them by dumping them into a bowl of ice water)
Heat the remaining oil in a pan on medium high heat.
Add mushrooms and saute until they are soft.
Add green onions and saute for another minute.
Add the asparagus and cook for another 3 minutes.
REMOVE from the heat then slowly add in the vinegar mixture.

EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment