Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chicken Marsala

I've been cooking Chicken Marsala for Gary for a few years now. I used my own recipe and served it over rice for him. Well, with the switch to Paleo, I didn't have to make that many changes other than nix the rice. I pulled this recipe from The Paleo Diet Cookbook (page 86) and made changes to suit what Gary likes. (I don't eat Chicken Marsala - I hate Marsala wine and I HATE mushrooms).

You're going to need to get:
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (pounded flat)
- 3 cups chopped assorted wild mushrooms *
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup Marsala wine **
- 1 cup chicken broth **
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano






So start by heating the oil in a skillet... about medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and  cook for 10 minutes, turning at the halfway point. When they're cooked, remove them from the pan and set them off to the side in a foil tent.

Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook them for 5 minutes. Stir them occasionally so they don't stick. Stir in the shallot and cook for another minute. Pour in the wine and broth and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer over a low flame for 20 minutes. I don't necessarily do 20 minutes. I do it until the sauce is ALMOST as thick as we prefer.

Put the chicken back in the skillet for 5 more minutes. (Which is why I don't reduce the sauce all of the way - 5 more minutes to cook).

Sprinkle with oregano when you're ready to serve!

* The recipe calls for 1 cup of mushrooms. I used 3 because mushrooms really shrink down and Gary likes a lot of them. I used crimini and oyster mushrooms.  
** The recipe calls for 1/2 a cup of wine and broth but again, it reduces down so quickly and doesn't leave much sauce in the end. I doubled it. I also don't make my own broth. I buy organic, low sodium chicken broth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment