Friday, July 20, 2012

Honey Chicken

I was out ALL day long today and totally spaced out and forgot to plan dinner. Since this is a new menu for us, planning dinner is very important as we can't just say eff it and run to Wendy's. So I scrambled through the cookbook for something quick and easy and with stuff that I had on hand and this is what I came up with. I made some alterations for us. For example, the recipe actually included walnuts but Gary hates them and I don't like them in my meals (desserts maybe). Anyway, here goes!


You're going to need:
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs FRESH thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs raw honey
- 1/2 cup water

Combine olive oil, thyme, sea salt, and pepper
Rub the chicken with seasoning.
Now here I took some olive oil (in addition to what the recipe calls for) to cook the chicken in... about 1/2 Tbs. The recipe calls for a "non stick pan" and I don't own those. In fact I hate them so anyway, continuing on.
Cook the chicken for about 12 minutes (or until it's cooked through and not pink in the middle), turning frequently.
Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a clean plate. Make a foil tent to keep it nice and hot.
SAVE THE DRIPPINGS IN THE PAN!
Add the apple cider to the pan with the chicken drippings. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
Add in the honey and water and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes until slightly thickened.
Then, you just spoon/ladle/pour it over the chicken and enjoy!

I doubled the sauce (so 2x the vinegar, honey, and water), and cooked it for a bit longer to get it the right consistency. We like sauce, what can I say?

p.s. I know, I know. we had corn again. I hate throwing out food and we had 2 cobs left. I ended up giving Gary my brussels sprouts and taking his corn. I am not fond of brussels at all. I used to like them, but I think that was when I could have loads of butter.. LOL





No comments:

Post a Comment