Saturday, July 21, 2012

Western Omelet - Gary Approved

Anyone who knows me, or at least my eating habits, knows that I DON'T EAT EGGS. I hate them, I think the taste is ok but I can't get past the texture. The closest I'll get to eating an egg is the yellow part of deviled eggs. Those are delicious. I really wish that I could eat them. I have them on hand at all times and it would be a quick and easy breakfast or even lunch.

I'm really good at cooking them though! I used to be able to make them anyway you asked but since Gary only eats scrambled I think I lost my touch. So, last night I had Gary read a omelet recipe that I had found and he said he'd give it a try. I'm giving you the directions how it came but adding what I changed.

For one omelet you're going to need:
3 eggs*
1 tsp. coconut oil
1/4 yellow onion diced (Gary said half this)
1/2 bell pepper diced (I left this out - I only have one and I'm saving it for dinner ..hehe)
1/2 medium tomato diced
1/2 cup spinach (I always use fresh baby spinach)
1/4 cup ham cooked and diced (I skipped this, don't have any on hand)
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

So, wash and chop all the veggies and set aside.
In a bowl, beat the eggs well and set aside.
Heat your skillet up over medium heat and when it's hot add the coconut oil to the pan.
Pour the eggs into the pan. When the egg has partially set, scrape the edges and tip the pan so that the uncooked egg at the top can spread to the bottom of the skillet.
Immediately after you've done that, add the veggies (and ham) to one half of the omelet and continue to cook until the egg is almost fully set.
Grab a spatula and fold the empty half of the egg over the veggies (and ham).
Cook for 2 minutes longer and serve it up!

Gary at it up like a starving child. So yeah, I guess it was a hit!

*I used 3 large, brown, omega 3, free-range chicken eggs. The recipe called for 2 but I added an extra one. Seemed to be the perfect size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment