Monday, July 30, 2012

Sweet Potato Brownies - Gary Approved

I'm now always on the hunt for new recipes that didn't fall out of a Paleo Cookbook. Don't get me wrong, I like my cookbooks but sometimes I want something REAL... something real live people have tried and not something come up with in some random kitchen somewhere. I found Juli at PaleOMG and I'm in love.
So far we've tried about 6 of her "dinners" and one or two veggie sides and everything has been a hit.
You know what's funny though? As much as I didn't have a sweet tooth before we started Paleo, I find myself DYING to just jump into a pool of Cadbury chocolate.. and I mean the good, straight from the UK, Cadbury chocolate. Fruit is all good for a snack here and there but when I'm wanting sweet foods I WANT SWEET FOODS...

So, I pulled out the handy dandy netbook and started surfing her site. Some of the recipes that I really want to try call for some ingredients I'd have to order online and they happen to be back ordered right now. This recipe happened to need everything that I had on hand so I said "what the heck" and started making a mess.

BUT FIRST I HAVE TO KILL THE HUGE SPIDER THAT JUST RAN ACROSS THE FLOOR AND GARY IS OUT RUNNING AND CANT KILL IT SO I'LL JUST SMOOSH IT WITH MY SHOE AND LEAVE THE BODY FOR HIM TO CLEAN UP...

I HATE spiders.

So, back to the brownies.
You're going to need:
1 sweet potato (I used a white one)
3 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup raw honey
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
3 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA!)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

Start by baking the sweet potato. 425F (218C) for about 30 minutes. You could probably nuke it but I find that the microwave turns potatoes all rubbery and I'm not sure it does the same for sweet potatoes. Either way, I cook them in the oven because I love heating the house up when it's 105 outside. Don't you? IT TASTES BETTER!
So, your potato is done cooking. Turn the oven down to 350F (176C). Let the potato cool down a few minutes or use a hot mitt. Pull the skin off and put it in a bowl and mash it. I found it easiest to use the back of a big spoon. It kinda clumps a little and you don't want it all clumped up in your batter or you're going to have huge chunks of sweet potato in your brownies.
Start mixing up your wet ingredients: eggs, coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
Add in the dry ingredients: coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon (which, by the way, I didn't use. I'm not a HUGE fan unless it's on specific things and Gary doesn't like it at all), salt and then fold in the chocolate chips.
Again, make sure it's all mixed up well and pour it into an 8x8 baking dish to bake for 30 to 35 minutes. She didn't say to "grease the pan" but I dropped some olive oil in it and spread it around with a napkin to soak up the extra bit. I hate when brownies stick in the pan, like I literally want to scream. I didn't have a problem getting the brownies out at all.  I also didn't waste anytime trying them and really had to TRY hard to not eat them all.

If you don't like these then you have no soul. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment